a new member of the family

29 Dec


Can you guess what this is?!

If you said green smoothie, you are correct!

But it’s not just any green smoothie.  It’s a green smoothie that is extra smooth because it was made with the newest member of our little family, my new Vitamix!

It all started about a month ago when my food processor broke for the second time.  A broken food processor means no homemade hummus, no homemade nut butters…and that’s just the beginning.  My food processor is an attachment that goes on my blender, and considering my blender has been on its last leg for awhile, we figured it was time to upgrade asap.  Of course we could have just bought another blender like the one we’ve had, but what fun would that be?

Really though, I use my blender almost every day and sometimes twice a day, and at that rate we’re going to be replacing it and the food processor on at least a yearly basis.  Considering the Vitamix comes with a 7-year warranty, we figured we might as well bite the bullet now and we’ll come out better in the end!  All of this on top of the fact that both the husband and I just really really wanted one:)  So, for our joint Christmas present we ordered a refurbished one from the Vitamix website.  Oh, and it comes with the same warranty as a new one!

So far I’ve made the husband frozen coffee drinks in the morning and myself green smoothies of course.  But I’m excited to branch out and make some other things like soups.

Anyway, we finally headed home from south Texas on Sunday morning, but it turned into a longer trip than we planned!  But first, a recap.

Christmas morning we headed over to my father-in-law’s side of our family for pancakes and gifts.  It’s our yearly tradition to have a pancake breakfast and then open gifts together.  I decided to have a small bowl of Kashi cereal and soy milk before we went, and then I ended up eating about half a pancake.  We had a great time eating and hanging out with everyone.  We don’t get to see that side of our family very often, and it’s always so good to spend some time with them. We wish it could be more!

Sadly, Jon and I didn’t end up getting a picture with our Grandma McCoy, but here’s one of my brother-in-law and sister-in-law.

After all the McCoy festivities, we headed back over to my mother-in-law’s side of the family and spent the rest of the day there.  Thankfully my mother-in-law was feeling better by then, so we had Christmas there that night!  If I was still keeping track, I’m pretty sure this would be about Christmas #5?  Can’t have too many I suppose!  Anyway, great fun was had by all as always.  My MIL, aunt and grammy had cooked up several games with prizes for the winners.

Luckily for each game they had pre-determined who would win the prize (s) for that game.  For instance, when we played wii bowling, they had decided that first place and last place would both win prizes.  Last place never felt so good:)  I won a remote control car! ha!

Remote control modes of transportation were very popular this year – there ended up being a remote control car and 2 remote control helicopters.  Crowd favorites they were:)  My brother-in-law had already received a remote control helicopter for Christmas a couple of weeks ago, and he ended up winning both of them this weekend as well.  I surprised myself (and everyone else) by how much of a kick I got out of those little helicopters, and he ended up giving me one of them.  Love that guy:)  Jon and I have been having a little too much fun with it the last couple of days.  If you’re like I was you’re probably thinking how dumb that is…but don’t knock it ’till you try it.  I promise, they’re addicting.

We also had great food.  I didn’t get a picture of my plate, but I had some roasted potatoes, fresh green beans, some bread and an Amy’s burrito.  What?   A girls gotta have some protein.

And then came dessert.  I had been eyeing my dessert all day as it sat in the fridge.

Best food part of my weekend, hands down!  I love caramel apples and hardly ever have them (who does?).  I ended up eating about half of this one.  Oooooh, it was goooood.

Sunday morning Jon and I got up bright and early so we could get on the road and make it back to Oklahoma by 6 o’clock for my cousins birthday party.  It was going to be a stretch, but we thought we’d be able to make it.

And then I lost my wallet.

The husband realized right before we were about to leave that my wallet was not in my purse.  So, an all out search ensued, but turned up nothing.  After brainstorming for awhile we guessed that maybe it had fallen out of my purse at the candlelight service two nights before. We called the church, and then waited on pins and needles for them to call back.  About 20 minutes later, they finally called back with the good news that my wallet had been found!  The bad news was that the person who found it was now in church and still had the wallet.  Also random was that it was a relative of the family.  Weird right?  Anyway, we tried calling her and texting her, but she wasn’t responding so we basically just had to wait it out.  As soon as the service let out we were able to get it back, but by then we were running almost an hour late getting on the road.

We still thought we might be able to make it but over the next four hours, between the traffic and me not feeling well we decided that it just wasn’t in the cards.  We were also so exhausted…we both felt like we simply could not keep our eyes open, and five more hours on the road seemed like no less than torture.  So, we decided to stop and stay the night in Dallas.  Upon arriving there, we headed straight to our favorite Dallas hotel and took a two hour nap.

This isn’t our actual room, I was so tired I forgot to take pictures so I got these from google images.  It looked basically the same though.  We love Aloft hotels and highly recommend it in any city!  And they’re pet friendly, so Olive was able to tag along.

After our two hour nap we found some dinner, ending up a mexican restaurant – shocker I know.  I was so out of it I went with a cheese enchilada and ended up regretting it.  I guess I was just feeling so tired and lazy I didn’t take the time or energy to figure out a vegan option.  I almost always regret it when I do that because I never feel well afterward…but I’m not perfect and I’m finally learning to accept that.  Onward and upward.

After dinner we headed back to the hotel and fell asleep watching Sleepless in Seattle.  The next morning we both woke up feeling refreshed and ready to hit the road and get home.  Jon had a lot of Outbox work to do, including some calls that had to be made by 5pm, so it was kind of a mad dash to get back home.  We made a quick stop at Whole foods, where I replenished my Amazing Grass stash and also got a fresh juice.

I like to think I’m pretty tough when it comes to juices, but I have to be honest, this one was kind of hard to get down.  Not sure if it was the wheat grass in it or what, but I just kept telling myself how much my body would appreciate it.  And I kept reminding myself of how much it cost.  And I think my body did appreciate it, especially after the shenanigans of the night before.  The husband also got a slice of breakfast pizza, and we stopped at Starbucks and I got a perfect oatmeal.

We finally got back home at about 4pm and spent the rest of the night working on stuff and unpacking.  I felt kind of bummed that Christmas was over, but it definitely felt good to be back home too.  The last couple of days I’ve really been trying to get back on track.  While I planned ahead and made some really good choices while we were traveling, I also indulged a lot more than usual.  While there’s nothing wrong with that, it’s a slippery slope for me.  Anytime I get out of my healthy routine, I have a bit of trouble getting back in my groove.  It’s definitely time to get back in my groove.  I’ll be posting more about what I’ve done to stay sane and healthy while traveling this past week as well as what I’m doing to get back on track soon!

Thanks to everyone for reading and all the sweet comments you’ve left over the last several days.  I haven’t been able to keep up with my favorite blogs at all, but I’m looking forward to catching up with everyone in the next couple of days!  Hope you’re all having a great week and looking forward to the new year!

12 Responses to “a new member of the family”

  1. Jennifer@ knackfornutrition December 29, 2010 at 12:41 pm #

    Congrats on your new toy! I am so envious! I want one, but I really have no need for it. But I hope you love it!

    • candice December 30, 2010 at 4:49 pm #

      Thanks! It was definitely a long awaited purchase:)

  2. Heather (Where's the Beach) December 29, 2010 at 2:39 pm #

    yay on the new toy!!! You totally deserve it if you ask me 😉 Glad your MIL is feeling better too.

    • candice December 30, 2010 at 4:50 pm #

      Thanks:) I don’t know about deserving it, but that’s sweet of you to say! I definitely am excited about it!

  3. Paige @ Running Around Normal December 29, 2010 at 7:57 pm #

    Yay a Vitamix!!! You’re going to LOVE it. 😀

  4. Cynthia December 29, 2010 at 9:12 pm #

    You are so lucky! I have wanted a Vitamix forever. Can’t wait to see what you make with it.

    • candice December 30, 2010 at 6:10 pm #

      It was definitely a long awaited and anticipated purchase! I can’t wait to see what I make with it either;)

  5. amber@sahm's musings December 30, 2010 at 7:26 am #

    Yay for getting a Vitamix! So exciting. I’d like to get one…eventually 😉 Sounds like you had a wonderful Christmas and that apple looks delish! My MIL used to buy these gigantic caramel & chocolate apples for us (I think from QVC). So good!

    • candice December 30, 2010 at 6:09 pm #

      It definitely was delicious! Problem is that apparently one was not enough….and I just happen to have gotten a coupon the other day for a free one from the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory here in Stillwater. What are the chances?! Oh, and you gotta love QVC:)

      • amber@SAHM'S musings December 30, 2010 at 10:11 pm #

        I’m going to be in Stillwater Sunday for family Christmas 😉

      • candice January 1, 2011 at 10:13 pm #

        So fun! If you weren’t going to be busy with family it would be so fun to meet up! Maybe next time:) Have a wonderful Christmas!


  1. 2010: a look back part II|ChiaSeedMe - January 4, 2011

    […] my family, ate dinner and visited with my Grandma and Grandpa and roadtripped down to south Texas to see our extended McCoy family for several […]

Leave a Reply to candice Cancel reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: